12826847

What ha;;ens when disabled person getting disability

Customer Question

what ha;;ens when disabled person getting disability benefits, pension are moved to a nursing home. do one have to inform somebody and does all the benefits, pension cease
Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my ex partner suffered from huntingdons chorea and became totally disabled. I have her power of attorney, All her affairs was being looked after be me. Now she has been moved from home to a nursing home.

1. Do I have to inform the social services about change of circumstances

2. Does all her benefits, disability benefits and pension ceases to come into my account as she is in a nursing home?

1. Yes, you should inform.
2. Benefits may be lost depending on the situation. Obviously things like housing benefits would be removed. However, DLA is not means tested. Its to pay for the cost of managing the disability. If a person is moved to a nursing home then realistically the cost of managing the disability has changed and they are entitled to reassess her claim with that information.
Sorry if thats bad news but they are entitled to assess with that information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Who do I talk to. I am in epsom, surrey and my council is Reigate and Banstead county council

You should report to the DWP office that pays the benefit