12826847

I paid a bill over ten years ago and I am now being chased

Customer Question

I paid a bill over ten years ago and I am now being chased by a debt company who say this bill is unpaid. I have no proof of settlement what do I do ?

Do you know the last time you paid in full was 10 years ago?

There is no chance it could be less?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972... We moved to Staffordshire from Hampshire in 2004 ... I know the bill was paid the year before we left and I am sure it was paid before my daughter was born in sept 2003 ... That's all I remember
You have nothing to fear. They are time barred to sue.

Whats happened here is that the original creditor has sold the alleged debt to a debt collection company to see if they can collect a small amount upon it. Sometimes people do agree to pay.

Come what may though, whether you paid or not, if you have not acknowledged this debt in the last six years then under the Limitation Act 1980 they are out of time to pay.

Its perfectly safe to just ignore them unless, of course, there is a CCJ against you in which case that would not be a good idea.

If you want to argue with them you can write back making the point that you paid in full and do not believe you are liable.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972
Thank you for your help ... I had got similar information from the citizens advice... But felt I needed to talk to someone more official ... I will write to them as they are threatening to send someone to my door ... Thanks for your help and advice .... Ali
No problem.

All the best.