12826847

Hi I live in London. A person had recently been harassing

Customer Question

I live in London. A person had recently been harassing me and only stopped after the police issued a first offense warning. Recently this person has again started sending threats to my parents in India(e.g. "I will find and kill you", "I know is in and he dies on road") via email and phone but the police in London have refused to take any action as they say that as my mother is in India they cannot do anything against this person. Can you please advise me on the best legal recourse to stop this person harassing my family?

I am sorry but if he is misbehaving in India then the UK courts do not have jurisdiction over the matter.

Your only hope would be to report the matter to the Indian authorities and hope that they take action.

No UK Court can regulate harassment abroad.

I suppose that if he were making contact with you from India then there would be an argument that at least part of the offence was committed in the UK but I'm afraid the police are not going to extradite him from India for what is ultimately at its highest a S4 harassment matter.

I'm very sorry but i have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think you misunderstand. The person who was harassing me was and still is doing it from London and was given a first warning by London Met police before. He's now threatening my parents who are in India, police say because my parents are not in the UK, they can't do anything even if this person is sending them death threats from London.

Thats certainly right.

Unless they themselves come to the UK and make a complaint then the UK police would not investigate or be able to prove this.