Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

Some years ago before my Father died he showed me where he

Customer Question

Some years ago before my Father died he showed me where he had hidden a tin box under the floor boards and said no one new it was there and that I was to take if he died. I was so upset when he did die I forgot it and two weeks after the funeral my Mother turned up at our home in Buckinghamshire with her suitcase from Leicester where they had lived, and announced that she had given the house with all its contents away to some people from Parkistan who she said were very good to her. We were shocked, she would not let us do anything about it. What with the upset of Dad dying sorting Mum a home out ( built her an annexe Lots of illness etc etc then my husband died, I never gave the tin box a thought until I started doing family history. I have written the people living there a few times sent them stamped addressed envolopes even writing paper Where does the law stand if they find and keep or destroy it do they have to give it the police as my father's bank books could be in there or anything as he always hid them away, I would appreciate your advice thankyou
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the people living there have found the box are they allowed to keep it or should it have been take to the police

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

How long ago was this? Do you
know what is in the box?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no idea my father said everything I needed to know about my family was in the box I do not know why he did not let me know then maybe it was because he kept bank books and money etc in there usually The biggest problem is it was back in 1974 If no one has had the electrics done which my Father would have had done and was only there approx 2 years if that , then there is a possibility it is still there If the people Mum gave the house to are still there then they will be elderly now which may be the reason they do not answer my letters I am not expecting to find it but need to put my mind at rest as it is bothering me I let my Dad down but if there is the slightest chance of it there I do not know if you are allowed to keep things that some one left in the house, it is under the floor boards I know the exact spot

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

You are really at the mercy of
whoever lives in the house now. The house could have changed hands lots of
times. It could be rented out.

You can get a copy of the
deeds and hence find out the names of the owners for 3 pounds. Here!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

There is no court application
that you could make for a court order, although you could, as you said, offer a
financial incentive.

If there were things in the box
belonging to your father, then they now belong to the beneficiaries in exactly
the same way that anything left in a cupboard would belong to the beneficiaries.

To be frank, I think the
chances of finding it and what happened to it remote.

I appreciate that this is not
what you wanted to hear, but there is no point in me misleading you

Please bear with me today
because I will be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for all your help with a difficult problem and looking into it so thoroughly I appreciated it and certainly know where to come if I have any more problems that need advice, Thank you Marlene

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am glad to help. I just wish
I could give you a more positive/useful and answer. If you want to ask for me
again, put my name at the top of the thread and the other experts will email me
to tell me that you are waiting.

Good luck in your search.