How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22564
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I started a business with my landlord 4 years ago. We started

Customer Question

I started a business with my landlord 4 years ago. We started the business in order to help him find a buyer as the building was empty and he could not find a tenant. we thought that if it was a running business then it would be more attractive for someone to buy.

3 months into the partnership he decided that he wanted to leave (this might have been a ploy to get me as a tenant) and gave me the option to buy him out of the partnership or we close the company down and I would loose the investment in the equipment in the business.

I decided to buy him out and soon after he left from the business his wife who is also joint landlord on the building and also my solicitor at that time issued me with a lease and asked me to sign it. I had no negotiation in the drafting of the lease and had no legal representation as she was my solicitor at that time. I signed the lease without studying it ( I trusted her as she was my solicitor up to a few month ago)and it was witnessed by my daughter.

The business has been for sale all the time and finally a year ago i found a buyer. When I informed them that i needed a copy of my lease in order to let the buyer study it they informed me that I have no lease as it was witnessed by my daughter and it was not valid. I was asked to sign it again but I did not as I found out that it was a head lease and it involved a lot of provisions and lots of guarantees from me.

I have been paying the rent by my Ltd company cheques all the time and now they demand that I pay from my personal account and not the business account.

What is my legal position as they refuse to accept the company cheques?

Also I have a new buyer but they have not responded to my repeated request to let me know what they would need as references and how they want to processed. I have now lost this latest buyer as he has been put off by the way they have been so difficult.

What is my position can I sell the Ltd Company only ie the goodwill without a lease or do i have to walk away from this and loose all?

If i do walk away I my still responsible or do I just give them notice that I am leaving and just vacate the premises?

Yours Sincerely,

P. Nicolaou
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Is the solicitor acting for you and the landlord then?

The landlord is also yr business partner?

What do you want to happen and what do you want to know?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes his wife the solicitor was acting for both my self and them as landlords.


the landlord was my business partner for about four months only. he no longer is a partner


I want to sell the business but i do not want to sign a head lease. or can I just walk away with nothing?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

The solicitor is in breach of
the practice rules/code of conduct because clearly, there is a conflict of
interest because the solicitor is acting in the interest clearly of her husband.
In addition, there is no problem with the original document being witnessed by
your daughter, it is still quite legal. It is not good practice to have a
family member witness it, but nonetheless, the document is perfectly valid. You
have clearly been misled.

If the landlord/business
partner is trying to enforce any kind of lease upon you or refusing to assign
it to any buyer or trying to enforce the terms of any lease, I would tell him
that you will be reporting the solicitor to the Solicitors Regulation Authority
for breach of the solicitor's rules.

There is no reason why you
cannot assign the lease that you have to the buyer. Although you will need the
landlord's consent to do that.

The most powerful lever you
have is the solicitors conduct.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today
because I will be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Thank you.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice