Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

WHY is it impossible to find a solicitor, who will do "Legal

Customer Question

WHY is it impossible to find a solicitor, who will do "Legal Aid" for my foreth comming divorce! no one wants to know, or help
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Customer:

thank you

Max Lowry :

There are limited numbers of solicitors these days that do legal aid work. The numbers are constantly decreasing and it's harder to get than ever. However, a central registry of solicitors that are able to do this would be kept by the Law Society. You can access its website here: www.lawsociety.org.uk/

Max Lowry :

You can get in touch tomorrow and get details of solicitors from them in your area.

Customer:

Local solicitors advertise they do legal aid, but when I approach them, they say I am not entittled to it ???

Max Lowry :

Do they not tell you why?

Customer:

one said because the house is in joint names

Max Lowry :

ANd hence too much assets in your name?

Customer:

maybe ???

Customer:

I have no income, 2 young children, I am living in Domestic abuse, what else can I do, I NEED A DIVORCE !!

Max Lowry :

It's pretty hard these days to get legal aid in all honestly. If you don't quality, then you need to speak to as many solicitors as possible to get assistance at as low a rate as possible. Do you explain the domestic abuse point to them?

Customer:

NO

Customer:

DIDN'T get the option over the telephone

Customer:

Low Rate ????? I need zero rate

Max Lowry :

Well, you need to do that, as it bring different principles into play.

Customer:

such as ???

Max Lowry :

You will find it easier to get legal aid if you mention you need help due to domestic abuse.

Max Lowry :

Such as what?

Customer:

different principals

Max Lowry :

Your physical wellbeing is in issue - you need urgent assistance, and its different to saying that you want a divorce and need the state to asist you in paying or it. This is a matter of physical well-being.

Max Lowry :

Incidentally, if your partner has a conviction or even a caution for abuse, you're likely to find it automatically grants you legal aid.

Customer:

ok, no one asked why I needed a divorce ????

Max Lowry :

Well ... cant say why that might be, but you need to make that the focus of your call and explain that first.

Customer:

The police have been called to the house, previously, because of domestic issue, but no summons/ court case etc

Max Lowry :

If you're willing to seek an injunction to prevent him abusing you etc., I'm pretty sure you'll get your legal aid. Just make this the focus of your calls in the morning, and I think you'll see a different response.

Customer:

should I be seeking an injunction, or Divorce proceedings ????

Max Lowry :

Both probably, but the injunction is perhaps your priority - tell solicitors this is what you're looking for. Then tell them when you're safe, you want the divorce.

Max Lowry :

Try tomorrow as I've said, and if you face problems, let me know, but I don't think you will.

Customer:

Ok, I have been in a long marriage, 25 years, Arranged in India, by Parents !!! and for 25 years living in a PRISON !!!

Max Lowry :

Your situation is, unfortunately, very common. You're not on your own. There are special systems set up to help people in your situation, including a dedicated Court dealing with this type of case, and you can get injunction within hours if necessary. Speak to solicitors tomorrow, focus on the abuse, and I know you'll find somebody willing to help you.

Max Lowry :

Maybe just come back tomorrow and let me know how it went?

Max Lowry :

Is that okay?

Max Lowry :

I hope this answers your question. If you need further information, just let me know. Please do remember to rate my answer as highly as you can.

Customer:

Yes, Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX much better, after talking to you

Max Lowry :

Good. Good luck in your search tomorrow - post an update, let us know how it went.

Max Lowry :

Please remember to rate the answer for me.

Customer:

I will do, Thank You

Max Lowry :

Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience: LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
HiYou can check your financial eligibility for Legal aid herehttp://legalaidcalculator.justice.gov.uk/calculators/eligiCalc;jsessionid=D82E6EDA3869A774618E9ADB299ED4B4?execution=e1s1and you can find a local family specialist who deals with family law on the websitewww.resolution.org.ukmany firms have stopped Legal Aid as they have run out of their contract starts - and legal aid ceases for most family cases in a few weeks.However the fact that your matter involved Domestic Violence should mean that if you are financially eligible a firm will be happy to take you onClaire