12826847

Recording Studio

Customer Question

I am in dispute with a recording studio and considering going through small claims court, but my position is unclear. I have paid a 50% deposit on a £3000 agreed price for 10 recording sessions over a period of weeks. A the time, I was not told this deposit was non-refundable although legally I understand all deposits are a contractual agreement to fulfill the contract. Their web site also made no mention of this at the time although this week that disclaimer has now appeared - I took a copy of their pages before this happened as I suspected they would do that. This is fine however the resulting quality of the sound from the studio after 2 sessions meant I was forced to cancel the remaining sessions therefore in my eyes the contract is negated as the expected result was not up the the quality expected. The studio are disputing this of course and actually said they were in their rights to demand the remaining balance let alone any refund of deposit. I have agreed to pay £600 for the 2 sessions with a £900 balance due to me, however they refused. In fact they said their normal daily rate was £560 which is significantly higher than comparable studios in the UK, so this rate is extortionate also - again, at the time, this rate was not explained. I am therefore thinking about small claims for the £900

[email protected] - sorry wrong email supplied on account
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Is there a termination clause in the contract?

Did you raise the quality alter session 1?

Did you raise the quality after session 2?