Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

I have a neighbour who is loud abusive to his girlfriend who

Customer Question

I have a neighbour who is loud abusive to his girlfriend who visits him, violent. Plays loud techno music at all times of the day. Constantly argues & hits at his partner, throws glass bottles at her in the street. Is a constant nightmare. What recourse do I have to stop this, as I feel because o.f his violent manner he would assault me
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

You've a couple of options really.

Max Lowry :

Firstly, you could seek to involve the police, and see whether you or they can convince her to prosecute him or the assault etc. and then convince her to take steps to removing him from the home.

Max Lowry :

Secondly, you could seek to take action yourself directly.

Max Lowry :

This would be in relation to the neighbour causing a nuisance, with the loud noise and his (or their) behaviour, such as shouting, screaming etc. This would be under the laws of nuisance.

Max Lowry :

If you wanted to go down this route, then you could ask the County Court to grant you an injunction restraining them from doing anything that would cause a nuisance, such as playing the loud music, shouting etc.

Max Lowry :

A third option would be to speak with your local council and see whether they would take action for the loud music, this being a potential public nuisance, capable of affecting several neighbours.

Max Lowry :

Hi ya.

Max Lowry :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes just finished reading your response - thanks . The neighbour in question rents the house - I do not know who is landlord is. Is there any way I can find out who the landlord is & approach them first then go for the options above?

Max Lowry :

Yes, if its rented, that's perhaps a little easier. You can do a search at the land registry, ww.landreg.gov.uk and find out who the freehold owner is. This search will give you an address for him.

Customer:

. I will try this first. Then if that doesn't work I will try a more legal approach. Thankyou've for your advice.