Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

I resigned as volunteer from a UK charity today due to bullying

I resigned as 'volunteer' from a UK charity today due to bullying and harassment from my direct line manager. The reason given for leaving by my employer to the company's current employees is due to 'ill health', which is false. Any idea where I stand?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Has this causes you any financial loss in any way?

Customer:

No, but it could going forward. I took the volunteer placement in order to change career and this was the starting block

Customer:

and my long standing health issue has not affected my placement in the slightest

Customer:

but it could be deemed to be a problem if this is what is being stated

Max Lowry :

I understand.

Max Lowry :

Okay, the law will say that you cannot recover any compensation at the moment, as you have not actually (as yet) suffered any loss.

Max Lowry :

But ...

Max Lowry :

perhaps more importantly for you is the representation about ill health etc.

Max Lowry :

This really only arises, I assume, on a reference being provided. Is that correct?

Customer:

yes, it is. im receiving messages wishing me to get better soon!

Customer:

yes, that's correct. although i would like it put straight to the other staff that i have left on the grounds of harassment and not ill health

Customer:

or AT LEAST that i have left , but the reason is not ill health, i.e. a retraction.

Max Lowry :

Okay - then if you get a misleading reference, then this is actionable if it is wrong, and you would be able to sue. They're not likely to be under an obligation to provide a reference (unless you have it in a contract from them that they will provide one) and so they just might not provide one anyway.

Customer:

thank you. is it possible to get them to retract the statement that i have left on grounds of ill health though?

Max Lowry :

It should be - they could just say that you left for "personal reasons", which in a sense, is true. It wouldn't need expanding upon.

Customer:

thanks very much Max. Much appreciated.

Max Lowry :

Anytime - please rate my answer as highly as you can. Thanks and have a good evening.