Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

My husband set up a profile on a dating website-plentyoffish.com.

Customer Question

My husband set up a profile on a dating website-plentyoffish.com. The company is based in Canada. I am therefore unsure which laws apply...........Canadian or Scots Law and would like a copy of his profile when he set up he originally set it up and for any changes. He is lying and i need the infomation for my children. I have emailed the legal section of the website and I have requested a copy of the publicly available content of his profile. They have responded by stating that information would be only given to local policing authorities. I am therefore unsure how to proceed. Do UK Freedom of Information laws apply to this website? Or is it canandian law? Whats the best way to proceed as i am unsure what policing authorities they are refering to and have asked on several occasions?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am afraid that there are no laws in the UK that entitle you to access your husbands data.In the uk you would need to get a court order and it is difficult to see on what basis a court could be asked to make such an order unless it was directly relevant to some legal process. His conduct may be reprehensible but it is not unlawful to register on a dating website even if already married. I expect the website is referring to the Canadian police.