How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now


Customer Question

I need legal advice badly.

Between March 2011 and October 2012 I was claiming job seekers allowance.

I live with my mother who is a council tenant. In Oct 2010 she left the country to take care of my grandmother after my grandfather died. She was paying the council tax but defaulted on the payments.

I didn't know what to do so after many calls to the council they advised me to make myself liable so that I could claim council tax benefit. They told me that since I was on JSA I would receive full benefit and so my mother would not have to pay anything until I returned.

In Oct 2011 I was made liable and my liability was backdated to the beginning of the tax year Apr 2011.

I paid some money towards the account because it took a long time to process my account. In Jan 2012 my mother returned to the property. Before she returned a fraud officer visited my house as I was not on the tenancy agreement. I never maintained that I was the tenant I was simply the occupier.

In Feb 2012 the council made my mother and I jointly liable and backdated our joint liability to Apr 2011. Meaning all that time I was told not to pay anything - meant I had to pay half which was £900+ and they wanted it in one go.

So we reached an agreement and set up a payment plan that meant we paid £50 for the 2011/12 tax year and paid £85 towards p/m towards the 2012/13 tax year which was a discounted price due to my benefit.

In July 2012 last year I received an email that stated I was incorrectly made liable and that I was not entitled to Council tax benefit. I was also informed that the benefit that was awarded to me (Nov 2011 to Jul 2012) would be added to my mother's bill.

Up until now I am still listed on the council tax bill. I have appealled their decision and I have to go to court in a few weeks. I've been asked to submit additional eveidence to the court but I am so in over my head I don't know where to start.

The council are saying that no exeptions are made when it comes to council tax benefit and that I have no right to council tax benefit. But I have proof that they advised me to be made liable. I also have proof that they were awre of my situation and that I was treated as liable for council tax when my mother wasn't here. I also have liabilty orders in my name for the account before and after my mother came back.

Can someone please help. Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

What do you want to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to know whether I have an argument to have the council tax decision reversed

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Why do they say you are not liable?

Are they saying you are not the homeowner? Or do not live there?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice