UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I have a question regarding a service that someone performed

Customer Question

I have a question regarding a service that someone performed at my let property in London. I asked for a quote to conduct mould cleaning works at my and was told the estimate was £470 (no excluding VAT was mentioned at this time), but that this could go up once the flat was inspected.
In the interim the mould got a lot worse. The company went out to clean but did not notify me before starting works that the amount would be nearly double to clean the entire flat. They conducted five hours of work and then sent me through and adjusted quote that was now £585 ex VAT to complete the works. I decided not to accept this as I felt it was too high especially now as the amount excluded VAT.
I emailed to reject the quote and asked to be invoiced for the amount for the work already conducted. I was shocked to find that the invoice to do the work was £470 ex VAT when only one room of the 6 had been cleaned. This meant that the company were prepared to charge a mere £115 ex VAT to clean the remaining 5 rooms.
When I questioned this I was told that the cost was higher because a senior technician was on site for those 5 hours, but I did not request this. Also, the cost is high because of all the advice I received from this technician, however, once again this was offered and not requested. And at no point until after the work was completed was I notified that the work would cost so much more.
The company are now threatening to hand me over to debt collectors, but I feel it is completely against my consumer rights.
I have tried to negotiate a compromise, but they are not prepared to so this and I am wondering what my options are.
Can you help?!
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Did you sign any form of contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I didn't sign anything.

Have you asked for a breakdown of work done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't asked for one. The invoice is not broken down. It simply says 'Scope of work, mould removal only from main bedroom' and then 'remove mould from main bedroom as per original enquiry'

When I queried this by email, she says it was because she went herself (a senior technician) and that costs more, and she gave me advice on what needed to be done, which incurs a cost. Neither of which were discussed before I agreed to the estimate amount.

I was under the impression the estimated amount was for the entire flat. And in fact when she quoted for the entire flat, she quoted £585 PLUS VAT

They are entitled to a reasonable fee for reasonable work done.

In this regard you should get a number of quotes for getting that one room done.

Then you have an idea of what it should be.

Then you should pay the reasonable amount and say you dispute the remainder.

If work was done which was not agreed or authorised then you do not have to pay for that.

You only need to pay for work agreed.

So pay what you agree and say that you are refusing the rest.

Then they can try and take you to court for the remainder.

This will be a small claim given the value.

This means you do not need a solicitor to represent you, it is informal process and you can do this yourself.

Given that you have paid what you consider to be owed, you have got quotes for the idea of costs or that work and that they did extra work which was not agreed - I do not think they will win.

But you can't withhold all payment - only what is disputed,

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a lot!

Two final questions though:

If they provided me with a quote to do 6 rooms at £585, can I not deduce that a reasonable amount for one room would be one sixth of that? Or should I still get quotes from other companies to verify this?

And finally, if they get debt collectors on to me, what do I do about the extra costs incurred by those as well as the bad credit rating they will inevitably give me?

A. No, because its like buying tins of beans.the cost of one tin is always more than 6 tins!

B. You won't get a bad rating, even if it went to court and you lost you have a month to pay it off before it stays on your credit file

UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I wonder if you could now help further (I understand this might incur a fee).

I did as you suggested and got other quotes for similar work conducted by similar companies and came to an average of £350 which I deposited into the company's bank account. I listed my complaints about the service they provided and why I feel that I was not entitled to pay the full amount.

I received an email back saying that they agreed that the VAT should not be charged, but that I am still liable for the £470 now including VAT. Meaning that I still owe them £120.

They are now saying that they are handing me over to their debt collectors who will run credit checks on me and this will impact my credit record. She is also saying that she will pursue the matter in smalls claims court.

I really do not want to pay them. She continues to harass me with combative emails that I do not want to respond to.

My two main concerns are: 1. How will this affect my credit rating if I need to apply for credit at a later stage and 2. How will the small claims process work if I live outside the UK at the moment.

I would greatly appreciate your help as this matter is really distressing me!

I think I have replied to your other question.