UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

My 12 year old daughter was assaulted by a council worker in

Customer Question

My 12 year old daughter was assaulted by a council worker in november 2012.The man responsible has appeared in court where he pled guilty and is due back in court for sentencing in March.This experience has naturally affected my daughter and I was wondering if it may be possible to make a claim against the council for compensation?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.
Yes.
You can raise a claim against the Council.
You can sue the Council for negligence.
But you could only sue for injuries caused. If there were no lasting injury any compensation is likely to be less than £250 or so.
But yes she can sue.
However the rules for personal injury claims change soon in terms of funding, so she needs to be quick.
But contact the Councils insurance department and they can consider any claim.
I hope this helps.
Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.
Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.