UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I had cybersex on an adult dating site (minimum age to join

Customer Question

I had cybersex on an adult dating site (minimum age to join is 18) with a girl whose profile said she was 18. I did not think there was a possibility of her being under 18 until her profile was suddenly either deleted or removed from the site by the site admin. Now I'm worried that I may have unwittingly committed an offence. Please can you advise
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Did you suspect at the time she was under 18?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I didn't.

Then you don't need to worry.

People delete their accounts all the time.

As long as you did not suspect or reasonably suspect that she was under 18 then there will be no offence.

So don't worry - I think you are looking it too much,

People deactivate their accounts all the time,

I hope this helps

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

everything on the profile indicated 18. Out drinking on a saturday night..Some tattoos (which I think you have to be 18 to get) . She sent some images, provocative but fully clothed. She asked what age group i go for and I replied 18-25. Just odd that the profile was removed because she was not online at the time it disappeared (I think), so it might have been site admin. Their terms say they can remove account and reserve the right to report to the "relavent authorities" which I take it means the police.

I really would not worry about it,

They need to show you knew or reasonably suspected.

UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you clarify what reasonably suspected means. Does It mean that I should have suspected? I didn;t voice any suspicions at the time, I didn't think I needed to

Unless you knew or should have known (in that you turn a blind eye).

Does that help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, seems like a very grey area. Even photos submitted for use on that site are vetted by site admin and given approval before they can be sent or used, so I really didn't have any concerns?

Ok - then thats fine................
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes thanks. I haven't heard anything but reading the site terms, they pretty much take no responsibility for any vetting they do. Also it isn't clear if this girl was under 18 whether they would automatically refer to the police or just take the profile down and leave it at that. Do you think they would have a duty to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Cat stay online long so just need an answer
Forgive me I have been in Court.

I can't sat what the site would do - it is a matter for them.