13262538

I think I could divorce my husband of 32 years for mental cruelty.

Customer Question

I think I could divorce my husband of 32 years for mental cruelty. He does provide (but so do I to a lesser extent, and when we were first together, I earned the only money we had.) He is good in many ways, but always puts me down. I'm the one ensuring our daughters have the best opportunities they want. One is at uni, the other will hopefully be going this autumn. I've done all the research and journeys. Despite moderate depression, and serious problems with my very very elderly parents, I think I am doing all I can (yes, the house is a mess.)

I'm fed up with the lack of moral support, and practical support, and the sniping. I also don't want our daughters to think this is the way relationships are, although at 18 and 20 they seem to be doing OK.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question
The old Mental Cruelty ground is now called Unreasonable Behaviour - and the behaviour does not have to be extreme in order to qualify.
From what you have said you undoubtedly have grounds for divorce
Is there more information that you would like?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much, Claire.

If I want to go down the divorce route, what should I do next?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For the second time, what do I do next? I am happy with your advice, but not the way the website works. I was told some hours ago that I would have a response within 15 minutes.. A response, please? 3rd time, if I want to proceed with a divorce, what steps do I next take?

My apologies for the delay
If you are certain that the marriage is at an end then the next step is to see a solicitor and start the divorce process.
Alternatively you could simply tell your husband that you consider the marriage to be over and suggest that you discuss the financial matters using Family Mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) in order to resolve how the assets should be divided
Claire