UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

HI, Why is staysure the insurance company allowed to victimise

Customer Question

HI, Why is staysure the insurance company allowed to victimise me because i am now 81 instead of 80 by charging me additional £60 is age discrimination allowed ? does the EU law allow this ? or is it a british only law. This is with reference to holiday insurance, Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX can help, many thanks. John.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Have you yet complained to the ombudsman?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a question of law if you cannot answer it refund the £40. it is so obvios a question before I apply to the Ombudsman.

Is this discrimination allowed - yes

Is it allowed by EU law - yes

This is because it age discrimination only applies to things like employment.

In terms of age and insurance it is a matter of risk.

If they can show that in discriminating they are achieving a legitimate aim - it will be legal.

Here I assume they will show that more mature people are more likely to have accidents than those under 80.

As such they can load a premium accordingly.

So yes - it can be done as long as it is a means of achieving a legitimate aim.

I hope this clarifies.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice