Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

what can I do to obtain a statement of fact from a company

Customer Question

what can I do to obtain a statement of fact from a company and importantly its staff in the USA. A large portion of my defense rests on ownership (This is a Chancery case). i.e. Capt Joe has an idea, tells his employer, his employer asks my employer for a quote to make it happen. The quote is HUGE so they decline, 2 years later they ask me and my friend if we could have a go at it. My now Ex employer claims the rights to it - to defend my position I want the company in the USA to back me up
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Have they issued proceedings?

What is their value?

Will the co in USA back you up?

What makes you think they will if you issue proceedings against them?

Are the claimants yr ex employers?

What is it they claim for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I'm at disclosure stage.

It seem not willingly, hence my question - can I force them to say something? The truth works just fine for me.

Good question, I do not want to rock the boat just force an answer

yes

damages , rights to patent, costs. Breach of restrictive terms of employment (i.e. not working for their clients for 6 months)

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

You cannot force a 3rd party (not involved in the litigation) to provide a statement. You can issue a witness summons but they are of little if any value because the witness will be hostile/unwilling