Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

What would happen if an administrator signed a senior managers

Customer Question

What would happen if an administrator signed a senior managers name on an internal form?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Can you explain what was the nature of the form and did the administrator have authority to sign?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The form was an internal access form,to update a key pass so another member of staff could access to a part of the building, and no the administrator did not have the authoruity to sign it.

The other member of staff should have had access to the part of the building but for whatever reason the key pass was not working and had to submit another form, the senior manager was not available to sign.

If this was security issue then effectively forging an authority is pretty serious. I don't know what if anything is set out in the staff handbooks and procedures but it could certainly lead to disciplinary action against the all the parties involved who knew or ought to have know about what was done. The person signing may have had the right motives so I doubt if dismissal would be justified if it is a first occurrence but I would expect the matter to be taken seriously and certainly lead to a written warning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What should the administrator do next?

Well If it was me I would go and explain what I had done to my manager to try and deflect the issue rather that say nothgin and risk being found out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you you have comfirmed my own thoughts on the matter, It was a moment of stupidity.

Ok well good luck sorting this out