12826847

I bought a vehicle in December, with 6 months tax. I failed

Customer Question

I bought a vehicle in December, with 6 months tax. I failed to get a registration document sent through, even though it was sent into the dvla (possibly lost in the post). Unintentionally I went without tax for 5 months before i got a letter notifying me I had been photographed with no tax. I responded instantly by going to the DVLA and getting the forms for a registration document filled out and taxing the vehicle for 12 months. I submitted a letter stating that it was unintentional and that i would be happy to pay the backdated tax, I also paid the £219 pound fine for the letter and was told that was the end of it. I have received another letter saying I was photographed and am expected to pay another £219. Is this right? I could receive more letters in the future from that untaxed period and face more £219 fines. What do I do? Do I pay this or do I go to court? Thanks in advance.
Please clarify that you have received two letters?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Two letters received for different offenses (ie photographed on the road without tax). The first time I was photographed coming back from Bath (Dec). I received this first letter in January and responded straight away as I mentioned. The second letter for an offense dated 09-11-12 I received on 01-03-13. I could receive more of these letters from that 5 month period as the DVLA seem to be months behind in their processing.

I'm really sorry but you are liable.

I do understand what you mean. Your point is that it was one continuous offence that lasted five months and picking out different charges arising from different days is unfair,

However, I'm very sorry but the last does not work in that way.

I realise this was untaxed for a long period of time but the offence lies in driving an untaxed vehicle and there were separate offences I'm afraid.

You could ask them to reconsider the second matter in the interests of justice but you do not have a legal challenge.

Im very sorry but thats your position.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that, kind of figured that was going to be the case.

Is there a maximum fine for this.

Time I went to see then and plead my case.

There is a maximum fine but you will not receive it. You will not be at anything like the maximum
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your advice has been very helpful.

I hope I can talk to someone down there who has compassion. I have never failed to pay my tax before so I hope that'll count for something. The latest offence is actually prior to the one I've already paid.

One last thing before i sign off. What is the max fine, the form says £1000, also is that per offence?

Once again thanks.

PS do you want me to notify you of the outcome for your information.

It would be great if you could let me know. I would be interested.

Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Justice has been done. Went to see them and they updated the computer and closed the case. I shouldn't receive anymore letters. I suppose they looked at my quick response the first time and history of paying my tax and let it go. I do hope that really is the end of it. In reality i am very lucky as they never requested the 5 months back tax which I'd offered to pay. So the fine in a way covered the back tax i missed and the difference would have been the fine £40. Still the stress of the situation was punishment enough.

Thanks again for you advice, hope I dont need to use you again but if i do i know where to come.

No problem thank you very much.