UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

if an employer makes a criminal allegation against an ex-employee

Customer Question

if an employer makes a criminal allegation against an ex-employee when they are both in one jurisdiction - why can police from a different jurisdiction take up the case?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The basics are I have been alleged to have committed fraud against an organisation with it's Head Office (and registered office) in the Thames Valley district, I also live in the same district yet the case is being investigated by City of London police (the alleged value is £72k)

Thats not a different jurisdiction - only a difference force.

If it was a UK complaint but investigated in another country, that would be a different matter.

It can be investigated by a different force. They may have teams more equipped to deal with this.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

From what I have read - if an allegation of fraud is made in Thames Valley - then they have their own fraud squad to deal with this, hence I cannot understand why city of london police are involved.

In order to answer bail etc, it is reasonable that I should be able to request any time I have to meet with the force investigating the case, that it could be done in my local police station, and if charged, in a local crown court?

There is nothing in law stopping another force investigate.

In question of bail you can request a time, buts its a matter for the Police - you can not force a time.

If charged it will be dealt with at the Court local to the Police station.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice