my wife has just purchased a sheep skin jacket on arrival

Customer Question

my wife has just purchased a sheep skin jacket on arrival home we removed the price lable which had been stuck across the ticket of how to take care of the jacket,we found that it should not be worn in the rain as it would stain.this makes no scence as we can not control the weather. we decided to return the coat for a refund.we were told that they did not give refunds on ly exchanges or credit notes. there are no signs to tell you this in the shop the manager admitted that he did not inform my wife of the rule but that ther policy statement was on the back of the receipt and of curse you do not see this untill you have paid for the goods .the stitching was also coming undone on one sleeve. my wife paid by credit card but the shop had not got the code no to refund anyway. he rang the owner of the company but he was not interested .is there any action we can take.

Were you expecting to be able to wear sheep skin in the rain? Its fairly common knowledge that its not a rain proof material.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fairly common knowledge has nothing to do with the question . what happens if you get caught in the rain .the why were we not able to ready the instructions or see any refund policy untill we had purchased the coat i dont think you are reading the question as it is put to you so far not vert confident you are going to give me a answere are they alloed to sell in this manner

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for jom1972 iam well aware that you should not wear sheep skin in the rain . but you can be caught in the rain but if you read the question properly i am asking about how they show there policy and is it legal to find this out only after you have purchased the item so far you do not give me much confidence in you.

Sorry but in those circumstances I won't be continuing.

Opting out.
Hello my colleague has opted out of the question so I will help you instead. Is all you want to get out of this a refund?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Under the sale of goods legislation there is no obligation on a retailer to refund a price paid for goods unless the goods are of unsatisfactory quality.

The fact that you were not told that the garment could not be worn in the rain has no bearing on the quality of the item and is in fact completely irrelevant.

Your better argument is to return the item on the basis of the stitching to which you refer. That is unsatisfactory quality and you can ask for a refund. If they refuse you can sue in court for the price if you consider it financially worthwhile to do so.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.