UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Our tenancy with our tenants has run into a periodic tenancy.

Customer Question

Our tenancy with our tenants has run into a periodic tenancy. We want to serve a section 21 (4) (a) notice. The fixed term began on 5th April 2012 and expired on 5th October 2012. Can Section 21 (a) notice be served today (5th March) after 4.30pm and what date should we state as the expiry date?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

No, it needs to be served before 4.30pm.

If it is after 5th March 4.30pm then you can serve it now but it will take effect from 5th April 2013 and take affect from 4th May 2013.

It has to be before 4,30pm to take effect.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Your reply is not clear. You say it takes effect from 5th April and take effect from 4th May. We want the tenants to leave on 5th May. What expiry date should we put on the form if we give the notice tonight. Should that be dated for tomorrow 6th or with today's date?

Forgive me.

You are right it is not clear.

You can date the notice today but it WONT be served until 6th March

That means the notice takes effect from 6th April

As Landlord you must give 2 months notice. This means they notice takes effect from 6th April so it expires on 4th June.

Does this clarify?

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice