UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I own a multi story flat 6b Riverdale House at BT17. i bought

Customer Question

I own a multi story flat 6b Riverdale House at BT17.
i bought it from U P S Belfast and recieved the keys on 20/02/2013
The water had been turned off at the stopcock inside my flat on the rising water mains.
The stopcock had ceased and would not turn to let the water flow into my flat system.
I contacted the Housing Executive,and they have told me that as the stopcock is inside my flat then it is up to me to have it fixed.
My question is that as the stopcock is the point of entry to my flats water supply from the rising water mains pipe which goes up through my flat to all 13 floors.
I would agree that all the internal pipework is my responsibility,but I would think the point of entry into my pipework would be the Housing Excutive,s problem
I would appreciate your professional advise.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

So there are 2 stopcocks?

One is at point of entry and one in your property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No there is only one stopcock at point of entry
So each flat has a stopcock or there is just this one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
each flat has one stopcock at point of entry off the rising main water pipe which goes up through each flat to the 13 floors
Who turned the water off?

How did they do it if your stopcock seized?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the selling agent turned off the stopcock it has now ceased and will not turn on (due to the age of the stopcock which is about 50 years old and according to the caretaker many of these old stopcocks have had to be replaced ,but because I have bought the flat they tell me it is now my problem
Why did they turn it off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They turn it off and drain the system to avoid any problems when the flat is not lived in. I do not know how long the flat has been empty.
Ok. So they turned it off and now cant get it back on - but saying you are responsible - is that right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
selling agent turned it off and now the Housing Excutive are telling me it is up to me to have it fixed To replace the stopcock in my flat it will require to have the rising main turned off this is not in my property.
I see so you only just brought it and it was switched off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I got the keys to the flat on 20/02/2013 and Iam trying to tidy up the flat but I cannot even do that without water

Sadly the Executive are correct.

They are responsible from the stopcock from the mains to the stopcock of yours.

YOU are responsible for the stopcock and the internal into your flat.

You can ask them to contribute towards this but if they refuse then you need to get it repaired.

You need to check your lease to see if it makes clear who is responsible for what.

But you are responsible for the stopcock and what happens after.

This is usually how it works.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have told me, this is the legal position.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice