Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

The defendant has paid claim, but not court costs, what do

Customer Question

The defendant has paid claim, but not court costs, what do l do now. I have sent him a letter, asking for the court costs, but nothing so far. How do l re open a judgment that has been set a side
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Is the only thing left the costs to deal with? Has the Court made an order for costs?

Max Lowry :

Or did he pay after serving the claim form without doing anything else?

Customer:

The only thing left is the costs, at the court hearing the judge set judgement aside, saying too the defendant that as long as he had a good defence, he was happy to set it aside. The defendant, said to the judge would pay, as he could'nt be bothered to be going backwards and fprwards to court. A week later defendant rang to say he had received paperwork, would send payment. Since his call we received paperwork to say hearing set aside, few days later cheque from defendant f

Customer:

for the claim not costs. I sent him letter about the costs have heard nothing

Max Lowry :

Okay. It's the same as an admission - if you write to the Court, inform it the he has paid the claim but not the costs, it should just enter judgment for the Court fee for you. I've done this many times!

Customer:

Sorry, l forgot to say l have written to court and told then that claim paid, but no costs, would they enter judgment automatically, or would l need to write again asking for judgment

Max Lowry :

Write again - and ask specifically that the enter judgment for the Court fee. It shouldn't be a problem at all - it sounds like a judicial oversight!

Customer:

Ok, will do, many thanks for your help