UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Hi, I bought a kitchen in December from Jewsons for aproximatley

Customer Question

I bought a kitchen in December from Jewsons for aproximatley £3,700 with a 48hr delivery promise. Most of the order was delivered around the 19th December, but a number of items weren't available and they would be delivered early Jan this year. These were cupboard doors and drawer fronts. I refused to make payment until I had my full kitchen.

I gave them a couple of weeks tocatch up after Christmas then asked where my items were. I was informed that there had been a problem with a delivery from Italy and I wouldn't get my delivery until week commencing 4th February.

Week commencing 4th February came and went without a delivery. When I contacted them I was told there was another problem with another delivery from Italy and now I could expect my items week commencing 4th March.

It's almost the end of that week and, once again I haven't heard from Jewsons. I have a patient and understanding nature, but it's now wearing thin.

Please can you tell me
1) am I within my rights to return the kitchen ? (yes I have fitted and used the units I've got)

2) Keep what I already have but demand a discount - If so, how much is a reasonable amount to ask for ?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

How did you pay for the units?

Have they given you another date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't paid at all yet. I thought it was reasonable to withold payment untill I have a full kitchen.

Their last delivery date was for this week (they usually get their delivery on a Tuesday). I phoned them an hour or so since and they were going to call me back, but heard nothing as yet.

In terms of returning - yes you can.

If you purchased a full kitchen and they have failed to deliver then you are within your rights to return it and cancel the contract.

They have missed several delivery dates and there is no guarantee when the complete units will arrive.

So you could cancel and return it.

Clearly you would need to be careful to remove everything but the most likely option is below.

Seek a reduction.

What you should do is get 3 quotes elsewhere for the missing parts.

That will be the amount you can reduce the payment by.

You cant profit from the mistake but it would be to put you back into the position you would have been in.

This is the most realistic because it makes sense if the units have been installed.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a problem with that. As far as I'm aware, Jewsons are the sole importers of kitchen for this manufacturer so I'm unable to ask anyone else for quotes.

I can't even keep the units/worktops and replace the fascias because the drawers and corner units are unique to this company.

Get quotes from other people first.

Try. Even try speaking with manufacturer and explain the problem. They may send you what you need direct.

Otherwise it can be returned.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Thank you.

Welcome
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice