Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Hi there, I think I am going through harassment in my workplace

Customer Question

Hi there, I think I am going through harassment in my workplace being cold " piece of shit, Immature individual" , I am being shouted at and threatened by another member of staff. All in front of other colleagues, so I have at least 2 witnesses. What action can I take or what can I do to protect myself? Thanks, Jana
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, you have the right not to be treated like this and your employer has a duty to ensure your health and safety on the workplace.

You should raise a formal grievance to say that you would like them to take this seriously and make this stop by taking action against the perpetrator. You should say that as an employer they have a duty to protect you.

Hopefully this may make them realise that they need to take action. If they do not then potentially you could resign and claim constructive dismissal.

Please remember to give positive feedback. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Would you help me to write this letter to my employer for an additional fee? How much would you charge for it?

One more question. I work in a big building and my office, which is situated on the ground floor is used as reception at the same time.This is the main (and only) entrance to the building.So every person who enters the building has to go pass my desk. Therefore, I can see who comes in and leaves the building and also at what times they come in or leave. We do not have a signing in book.

Usually there are about 5-6 of us sitting in this ground floor office, but there are times (although its rather rare) when I am in the building completely on my own.This happened again on 1st March 2013. Another colleague who works on the second floor came in later that morning and because I am responsible for setting up the alarm, I noted down on a post it note the time in and out.

This was purely for my own information with regards XXXXX XXXXX alarm set up.

Now this little post it note was found the following day on my desk and I got told off for checking on that persons working hours.Have I done anything wrong? We do not have a signing in book and people don't have to report to reception when they leave. How am I supposed to deal with this situation when I am the only person in building? What about my health and safety?

Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hello as you are the only person and are doing it to protect your health and safety you should not get in trouble for this. You should explain it to your employer.

I would be grateful if you would give me positive feedback for this answer. I will be happy to help you draft a letter. If you then want to leave a bonus for me doing it then I would be grateful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again. Ok, please draft a letter for me and let me know how shall I pay your bonus and how much you would like.?

I would like to state in that letter that this is a formal complaint for harassment I've been subjected to and would like to state exactly that I do not ever wish to be called " piece of shit", " immature individual", be shouted at and also I do not wish to be threatened in any way.

But I am going to leave it to you completely.

Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Dear .....

Grievance

I am writing as I would like to lodge a formal grievance.

I have in the past told [insert names] that I have been subjected to harassment in work. I do not feel that this is being taken seriously enough and I am finding it extremely upsetting and stressful.

I am aware that an employer has a duty to protect their employees from harassment at work. I feel that unless action is taken to prevent this from happening again you are in breach of that duty.

Please can you now arrange for a grievance meeting to be held in accordance with the grievance procedure so that I can be sure that I will not face any further harassment at work.

Yours sincerely
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brilliant, what should your bonus be, please? I have no idea.

Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
what ever you want to give! I'm not allowed to request a price.

Thanks so much in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks, I sent extra £ 10.

Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Thank you and all the best. Come back to
Me if you need further help.