UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I have been involved in a road traffic accident where a

Customer Question

I have been involved in a road traffic accident where a gentlemen crashed into the rear of my car causing it to be a rite off. I have since been arguing with admiral insurance with regards ***** ***** car. They have offered me £7000 for my car which I refused as I paid £8500 for the car only 3 weeks prior to the accident. Admiral said they are going to Send £7000 out as a interim payment because they want me out the hired car. I agreed but the hired car has been cancelled and I still have not received any form of payment. I feel that I have been victimised for no reason at all. I asked on several occasions how do I take this to court as I am not happy with the way I have been treated, every time I asked I was given false information until today when I spoke with a friend who is studying law, who informed to to speak with the ombudsman. I have called Admiral 10+ times and each time I was told nothing but lies. They also told me not to tell my insurance company about the crash as it will only make things longer, which I later found out to be false. I tried to call them today but they said we can't talk to you because a member of there team was locked into my file and gone home so no one else can get into my file. So I now have to wait until Monday to speak with them which means I am going to have to take a day off work. MORE MONEY IM LOSING.. If the crash was my fault I could understand but as I'm the victim in this surly I should not be out of pocket and most importantly with out a car.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is***** will do whatever I can to help you today.
What is the market value of car, not what you paid, but dealer trade in price?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Forecourt value £8820
Private sale £7000
Trade in £6510
Auction £6090
I have sent them a receipt for the car which I got from the company on the day of purchase
To be honest it does not matter what you have paid.
You could have paid £10k for a car worth £2k and they would only ever pay £2k.
They normally go on the Glass's guide or similar.
Unless it was a brand new car with a new for old clause they only red to give you market value.
Bearing what you have said above, they are paying you private sale. This is very fair.
They could have paid trade in value, which they often do.
They never pay forecourt value.
However take the £7k so at least you can stop the hire car and if you can provide private sale evidence (such as autotrader) to show higher value on the same car they may move.
If not you could complain to the financial ombudsman. They are free, independent and can examine your complaint.
But if I am being honest then based on what you have said you may not get more than £7k.
Morally they should pay you what you paid but in law they don't have to.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.
If there you have any questions or if I can help you with anything else please let me know.
Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.
Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Surely they can't cancel my hired car before I receive payment?
No.......
That has to be received or until the car hire period reaches any policy limit
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help, it was not the news I wanted but at least it from a reliable source, I will give you good feedback. Can you just tell me how to cancel my my account with this site as I will no longer need access to it
You need to contact customer services for that,
I am an expert and do not have access to that part,