13262538

Can you advise please when the final Law Commission Report

Customer Question

Can you advise please when the final Law Commission Report on Inheritance/Needs, which is due this year 2013 will be published. I have read their interim findings that recommend inheritance will not be part of settlement (apart from needs), & as I have a Final Hearing scheduled for May, & a large inheritance (after divorce) is being contested, this is highly material. A THOUGHT -- would it be reasonable to ask the Court to adjourn hearing pending outcome of Law Commission Report?
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
I think that you mean the Consultation on Matrimonial Property, Needs and Agreements.
The issuing of the Report will be the first step in a lengthy process that may - or may not - lead to Legislation which may effect Financial Settlements.
There is no basis on which an adjournment will be granted - and in any event the Current Case law is the same as you have outlined
Claire