How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22564
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I am a joint leasholder in a property of four flats. Each

Customer Question

I am a joint leasholder in a property of four flats. Each owner has a 25% share. One owner recently fell seriously ill and will not be able to return to their flat. While her situation is 'sorted out' her family have let some 'friends' live in her flat. They are proving a nuisance as they litter the site, block the drive with cars, and have more friends around day and night on an ongoing basis. Can I and my fellow freeholders do anything about this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Please clarify are you Leasholders or Freeholders?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good service. We are leaseholders, each with a 25% share of the freehold

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any feedback concerning my question?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. The leaseholder
(who I appreciate is poorly) is likely to be in breach of the terms of the

The three freeholders should
write to the leaseholder, care of the family and advise the leaseholder that
he/she is in breach of the terms of the tenancy and that if the situation is
not resolved, you will have no alternative but to seek steps to foreclose on
the lease.

Ultimately, you can get an
injunction to stop the parking and the noise and the mess and you can ask the
court to award costs against the leaseholder. I would probably put that in my
letter in any event.

The latter will have more
weight if it comes from a solicitor.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today and over weekend because I will
be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, which I have rated.


When you have the time (there is no rush)


Do I need to look for any factor in the lease that is being breached? It does mention in the lease that a flat must only be used as a private dwelling for the occupation of one family ("The Lessee will use the flat .......for a private dwellinghouse in one occupation only") and that basically one should refrain from doing anything that upsets other leaseholders/freeholders.


We are allowed to rent out the flats, although I suspect in this case there is no contract between the "friend" and owner (who is in care). Do you think that is an important issue (i.e. letting someone use the flat as opposed to renting it out via proper channels?) that I could mention.


We are extending my lease soon and maybe we should make some changes to the lease to address this sort of issue.












Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

I have had a similar question this
morning. Check that the lease does indeed not say that it can only be used by the lessee,
because that prevents it happening. I appreciate you say that you are allowed
to rent out the flats, but many leases exclude subletting but the landlord
never takes any notice of it.

I think you would struggle to prove
that they were allowing rather than letting or renting. Well done for thinking
so laterally, but I don't think it would work.

You can change all the leases if all
the leaseholders agree. You can change the leases of any leaseholders of agree,
but it would not allow you to change this one if either the lease holder was not capable or not

I would go through the lease, word by
word and less every provision that is being breached. Even if there is nothing
specific that you can put your fingers on, you have a breach of the implied
covenant for quiet enjoyment, and the common law obligation not to be a

Remember that Good snotty solicitors
letter and threatened the fleas of 1000 camels and the plague of locusts for
any minor breach and would usually be sufficient to bring a tenant to heel

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22564
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Stuart J and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My apologies for the delay. Thank you very much for your advice, it is of great help.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
No problem.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice