12826847

if you have a minor knock with another vehicle on private property

Customer Question

if you have a minor knock with another vehicle on private property are you legally required to exchange names and addresses
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i was in Waitrose car park a women claimed that i knocked her car with my car,(i did not) i asked her to show me the damage,there was none,she called the police,the police did not attend, but as there was no accident or damage i went on my way, it would appear that she then went to a police station,i have now received a letter from the police stating that i was involed in an accident on the road or a public place and did not exchange my name and address,two points,one there no accident and two,Waitrose carpark is private property and not a road or public property your advice please.

I'm really sorry but I'm afraid you should have stopped and exchanged or reported to a police station.

The fact that this is private land is no defence. In any event, for the purposes of the RTA its still a public place and so covered.

If there was an accident then you are under an obligation to exchange details.

It is a defence to say there was no accident but this situation would have been avoided if you had exchanged details.

They will probably summons you for failing to stop and report. Often at court they will accept a plea to driving without due care instead of failing to stop and report but if you deny there was an accident then you cannot plead to that offence.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there was no accident in the car park,she followed me and i advised her that there was no accident,i asked her to show me the damage she could not,she then drove off before me and i continued with my journey?

Yes, that was what you said above and it does not change my answer.

Had you posted on here a short time after the incident I would have told you to report to a police station within 24 hours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you.

No problem.

Sorry it cannot be a more absolute defence.