UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

we have a possible tenant that says they are dss . what precautions

Customer Question

we have a possible tenant that says they are dss . what precautions and checks should we make? Do they pay the rent from the dss or from themselves? Also we had to make an emergency repair to the roof . Can we make the other owners pay their share of the cost?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

Is it a flat you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it is a flat in a block of 6

What does your lease say about such matters?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The title deeds say it should be split 6 ways but what if they dont pay?

Yes, you give formal notice to pay and say if they don't within 28 days you will go to court.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings

You can do this online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - you will have to pay a fee but this is added to the claim.

If the claim is below £5000 it will be a small claim and you won't need a solicitor,.

You will be surprised how quick matters are resolved once proceedings are issued.

If there you have any questions or if I can help you with anything else please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice