Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

My ex made a post on the internet that he had racy photos of

Customer Question

I   made a post on the internet that I have  racy photos of me using my name. I do have the photos but have  removed the post. Can I still be sued?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This was so stupid on my part... I got drunk and posted on the internet that "X sent me photos of his penis". i removed the post 5 minutes later, and the pic of his chest that I posted. (his face was not in the pic)

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

If the post did not reveal the identity of the person in question and was done in a moment of madness it is unlikely that any form of criminal or civil action will be taken against you. Please don't be offended but this sounds like a little bit of silliness as opposed to any malicious intent. Had the post been left for viewing that causing distress to the person in question then you might have a problem. But as things stand I don't think there's any cause for concern.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The post has been removed. I DID use his first and second names. However, I do have pictures but the post was removed after 5 minutes.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information and for your patience in waiting for an answer.

Since you posted a name with the photos then potentially the other person could sue you for defamation.

Defamation is when you say or publish something which causes the other person to lose their trade or profession or causes a reasonable person to think worse of him.

If the photos were on the website for a very short time and not seen by anyone then its very unlikely that a claim will be made. However of the photos were seen then a claim for defamation is possible.

Should the other person make an issue of this then its very much in your interests to offer an unreserved apology (without admitting liability). A public apology is normally enough to stop this going further.