only by email
after i emailed a secification document to them i got this reply
We have been looking in to the commercial side of this and the cost as a whole along with other details that are important.
Going over the work required since you updated the spec a little and we obviously looked into it a bit more when you did makes things move a little price wise.
We never really confirmed an exact cost , we did say around £1800 for the lot , but we do have a bit more of a handle on it now and the spec is a bit more updated therefore we would need to
Move the cost to £2,100 that includes all the other apps listed in the prev mail and your license , development work and design.
how do i sent you an attachment so you see the website spec they quoted on?
then no - the agreement was by email - i have full records of all communications
no - site is based on a standrd package with a number of plug in software components - and the PHP programmer was supposed to 'tweak' the add ons to give me functionality
apart from the delays and my own concersn, the first spoken issue came on last friday when he said he was worried about the cost of one of the things i wanted - when i mentioned that we in the inital spec, he simply bluffed his way through
when it was discssed this morning on skype talk, after my comments ( themacdees), he (Tom) said
[09:31:42] themacdeestom - the pyramisd system has been in the spec from day 1 -[09:31:42] themacdees: clearly explained[09:31:50] themacdees: you have asked me for % point allocations#[09:32:11] themacdees: whats the hold up ? are you going to say its my fault again?[09:32:15] tom mcewan: yes that is corrct dave[09:32:27] tom mcewan: re the points from day one[09:35:34] tom mcewan: as for anyones fault i think you and i should stop talking just now and i am going to have a think how we proceed from here
i think he knows he cant do the job as quoted for and is looking for a way out
in truth, i have lost all confidence, i want to know how to get all my work out in a useable format that i can give a competent progrrammer
( apologies for typing errors - i am shaking with anoyance )
i would own all rights once the build was completed
one final point before i pay !
i am in england - they are in scotland - what law does this fall under
Hi again Nic
i thought this might happen - i havent spoken to him but he has said now by email
I will give you access to all your files and information once you settle an invoice that we will issue you with for part of the work we have done to this date.
I will issue the final notice on this today / tomorrow morning.
so he wont release my files until i pay him more money. under law, does he have a right to withhold the all the documentation, given that i have already paid £1500 up front - what law would he be breaking if he refuses to release the files
i am going to relase payment now ( i just got back in) but would be grateful if you could answer any final queries.
in addition, if i had to go to court, how much would you charge to put my case in order?
bit worried when my £33 will run out but theres more i need to know
so he has the right to hold onto all the work although i have already paid 1500 - i do plan to ask someone tonight if he can asses the quote and the costs - what if we prove ( from 3 quotes) that his £2100 was way too low and that he is essentilly holding me to ransom?
i was thinking to offer him £100 extra regardless of what he wants as aseverance payment - i can clearly prove, with mulitple and detailed sections of evidence, that their working methods were very slow and when i objected and said i want to work beside the guy for a day, they refused - is that obstruction while i am trying to resovle the difficulties and get sensiible value for money
its been great so far and it would help even more if you could apply it to the situation as it stands now. another web builder thinks i have been overcharged and the design isnt very robust. he wants to take the programs ( worth £700) from the old developers and start again - he says it will be cheaper for me and i believe him
this comes back to legal lien - the programm fees are not in dispute and should be released - the added value is in dispute, other quotes coul dbe obtained to prove excessive costs, and we could take them to court
i want to avoid all that - say just give me the programms - keep your work and keep the 1500
what does the law say ?