Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

As a business we offer for sale, vouchers for tea with an expiry

As a business we offer for sale, vouchers for tea with an expiry date of 12 months after the purchase date.

Where do we stand, if a voucher purchased 7 years ago is now being claimed for redemption ? The guest is a Solicitor. We state that it cannot be sold or exchanged for cash or any other service we offer. We do not replace if lost or stolen.

This is a most unusual case and I would like some guidance of where we legally stand.

Stephen
Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

You are not legally obliged to redeem the gift voucher if it is presented out of time and the time limit is clearly stated.

Some businesses will agree to redeem them as a gesture of goodwill but there is nothing that the person will be able to do if you decline to do so.

Please remember to give positive feedback. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.