UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

I live in Bexley borough, I have been in contact with the local

Customer Question

I live in Bexley borough, I have been in contact with the local council but they do not seem to want to help, To the rear of all properties in my road is an alley / rear access for motor vehicles for residents use. There are 4 entrances / exits, one of these has been partially blocked by a neighbour extending their garden fence 6 feet into the alley, so that they in practice have extended their property by 6 feet. I am unable to find out who owns the alley as the original company who owned it went bust many years ago. Am I right in assuming that the alley now becomes the property of all who back onto it? If so, am I right in assuming that the neighbour who has extended their back garden needed to notify all residents of their intentions and if anyone objected they could not proceed.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

Have you searched at the land registry who owns it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The council have searched and cannot find an owner.

Have you tried?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, quite some time ago though, found the whole experience very confusing.

While I can not do the searches for you what I can say is that the land wont just go to the properties.

It will belong to someone.

If the Company went into liquidation it will belong to the liquidators.

It will belong to the Company as an asset until disposed of.

Therefore the Receiver of the company will own it until disposed of or sold.

But it does not revert to the neighbours.

That is not to say if it has been over 12 years you can't try and claim adverse possession though.................

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.