UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

I am currently being chased by a debt collection agency over

Customer Question

I am currently being chased by a debt collection agency over a cancelled subscription to racing UK. Having used the service many times before you could enter and leave as you pleased. It appears this time there is a minimum 12 month contract. I have not signed anything to agree to this although I am aware that this does not have to be the case for a contract to exist. My point is that I would not have signed up had I have known that there was a 12 month contract. They have sent me a copy of the T&C's which does state there is a minimum 12 month contract but I did not receive them and even if I had I probably wouldn't have read through them. Do I have a leg to stand on?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

How did you sign up ie online?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it was online

Did you not read the terms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I didn't. As I had used the service in the past without problem I felt no need to

Thats a problem then.

If you did not read the terms and I assume the 12 month contract was in the term then you are liable.

You should read terms before agreeing to them.

It is your responsibility. As such I am sorry that you are liable for the debt.

All you can do in this case is negotiate a settlement.

But as there is a contract with terms and you agreed to it, I am sorry to say it makes no difference if you had used the site before and assumed the terms were the same - you are bound.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?