UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

what rights do i have if ive paid for a horse, but since found

Customer Question

what rights do i have if ive paid for a horse, but since found out the horse is a nut case, and i want my money back
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

How long have you had the horse for?

How did you pay for it?

Did you ask anything about the horse when you purchased it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont have the horse, i was to have it next week. I had a vet stage 2 examination, transferred the funds for payment. I was given her previous owners number, rang him and he warned me of huge problems with her. Being my first horse she would be totally unsuitable.

Ok. Did you make enquiries of the seller?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The seller is a breeder so thought was fine

If you find your new horse has a problem, making him unsuitable for the purpose you bought him, you're entitled to your money back — even if the horse dealer denies knowledge.

The Act implies certain conditions of sale — your 'statutory rights'.

These are:

The horse must be of 'reasonable' or 'satisfactory' quality — for instance, free of defects such as lameness — unless you have prior knowledge and accept the condition.

The new horse must be fit for the purpose for which it was generally sold, or any purpose made known at the time of the agreement.

He must be 'as described'. If your new eight-year-old horse turns out to be over 18, it's a breach of trading standards.

If one or all of these criteria are not met, you may be entitled to a full refund or the difference in value between the horse you thought you were buying and the one you got.

As you have not purchased it yet then horse is not as described or fit for purpose.

This means you can claim a refund.

If the seller refuses then you can issue proceedings in the County Court.

You can do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

I assume the value is below £5000 so it will be a small claim and you wont need a Solicitor.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The lady in question has said she has spent my payment on a new horse, and no longer has my money

Thats not your problem.............

The law is the law.

UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please could you give me a price for you to email a letter to this lady giving my rights, and saying that i will take action if i dont get my money back.

I am afraid the site prevents me from discussing prices with you.

But all you need to do is set out the problems, what remedy you want and to give them a notice when they need to complete it by.

Thats all you need to do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The horse was sold to me as a horse that would need further training as she had previously had traning two years previously. I was aware of this fact, and was prepared for the training. I was not told the reasons she was returned by her previous owner and took it that she was fine. Yesterday my trainer contacted her previous owner for info on her training, he told us not to buy her as he had had major problems with her and said she was dangerous and def not suitable for me. As she is very unsuitable for a first horse owner i would put myself and others at risk of harm. I would like a full refund on this horse because the owner was very aware this was to be my first horse. The refund i would like in the next 48hrs as this is money i have spent on a horse which is not fit for my purpose.

Thats all you need to put.

But you need to give a reasonable time - 48 hours is not.............

You need to give 14 days really.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have decided to get the horse here, to see how she is. I have since found out through the internet that the lady in question had a jail term suspended for 2 years, due to keeping firearms without a licence. I've printed it off for evidence, as this proves how dishonest she is.

Ok.... Thanks for the update