UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I own half of a working farm which I have worked for the last

Customer Question

I own half of a working farm which I have worked for the last 20 plus yrs but not paid rent. Can I claim tennents rights.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

What is it you want to adhieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a 50% share of the farm along with 4 others who have a 25%share each. They are demanding me to sell all the farm can I legally refuse to sell my share ?. Also I have worked this farm for the past 20 yrs do I have tennents rights even when I have paid no rent as the other 50% was my mothers until her death.
Is there any form of written agreement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No just the title deeds nothing else

Do you have tenancy rights - no.

This is because you are not a tenant.

You are part owner, this means you just can not be a tenant as you have a legal interest.

So to answer your question can you claim tenant rights - no.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can the other four shareholders force me to sell my share or can I legally keep my own share?
Cant force you no..........

They can liquidate the whole asset so everyone has to share, but not just one person.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for being stupid but what does liquidate the whole asset mean?
Sell - they would have to sell the whole thing and split the proceeds equally.........

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still confused if they sell and split the proceeds would that include me having to sell my share or could I retain my share
No it would be sold as a whole thing, or you given the option to buy out.

But if you did not the whole estate would be sold and yes you would get your £ as a result.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice