UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Hello, I have a leasehold property and I have asked my landlord

Customer Question

I have a leasehold property and I have asked my landlord via a posted letter whether I can have her permission to do a loft conversion. The letter was sent in the beginning of January and she has not responded to this date. What should I do next? Should I send her another letter or can you give me some other advice?
Many thanks,
Maggie, London, UK
e-mail:[email protected]
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

Sadly all you can do is send another letter.

What you can not do is assume consent.

So if she does not reply you can not start the work.

I would send one more letter, but say receded delivery asking for a response within 21 days

If 21 days comes and goes then after a month (so 28 days in total) I would get a solicitor to write a letter.

But you do need consent I am sorry to say.

If there you have any questions or if I can help you with anything else please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Nic, that was very helpful, but what do you mean by 'receded delivery'?

Cheers,
Maggie
Sorry recorded :)
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice