Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hello, My wife who holds a Russian Federation passport, and

Customer Question

My wife who holds a Russian Federation passport, and enterered the UK on the 14th Aug 2010 on a UK entry clearance marriage/spouce visa, and is now married to me a UK passport holder born in the UK. Her recent two year residence visa expired in October last year and she has now been granted settlement permit by way of indefinite leave to remain. However we notice that this is only valid until 22-10-2022. Surely indefinite means just that?
Regards,
Peter Gaukroger.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

So the ILR is 10 years from the date of grant?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK not to worry.

Your wife has indefinite leave to remain and can remain in UK without restriction.

But the permit has to be renewed every ten years so the photograph can be updated.

Similarly UK driving licences must be updated after 10 years.

So do full UK passports.

The same principle applies to the ILR permit.

Its nothing to be concerned about.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI,
Thanks for that information, as with a UK passport, I would've assumed that the UK border agency will require a fee to renew the ILM with an updated photo?
We are assuming that as my wife has an entry stamp dated August 2010 and has now been resident in the UK for three year's come August this year and has not been absent from the UK for more than 90 days she can apply for naturalization and a UK passport?
We also believe she can hold duel UK Russian federation passports? The reason being she owns an apartment in Moscow and needs to have an address in Moscow for her pension payments to continue, unless you know of an alternative method of obtaining her pension?
Peter Gaukroger
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Good evening.

1. Renewal: Yes. As with everything else the renewal fee is likely to increase by 2022.

2. Naturalisation: Yes. Subject to fulfilling all the criteria e.g. presence in UK, language and good character requirements.

3. Dual citizenship: I am unable to advise on Russia law or procedure.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again, my wife friend in Moscow says a number of people she knows hold duel nationally.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
No problem! Thank you very much for using our service.