12826847

My son [24] is appearing at magistrates court charged failing

Customer Question

My son [24] is appearing at magistrates court charged 'failing to give information relating to the id of driver of a vehicle' having not changed the address on his licence. He is a student with debts and already has 4 speeding points on his licence. He uses his motor bike to get to uni.

He has mental health problems having previously been admitted to hospital for depression, this is causing him a lot of anxiety

What will the procedure be like and what's the likely outcome?

Is he pleading guilty?

How did this come about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is pleading guilty. He was court in a speeding camera doing 36 in 30 limit. The speeding ticket was sent to an old address. The courts tracked him through me.

I presume he was the driver?

And he accepts speeding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

yes he was and does

It is probably worth attending court and offering a plea to speeding in exchange for dropping the failing to identify.

I used to run road traffic courts all the time and where that offer was made it was pretty rare that CPS press ahead with a failing to identify.

From his point of view the advantage is that he would only get 3 points instead of 6 and a much lower fine.

Obviously they might refuse but its an offer worth making. It is a defence to failing to identify to say that you didn't receive the NIP. He seems to be saying he did not. In fact, there is case law that says that if a person doesn't receive the NIP essentially because he didn't keep tabs on the post at the address the DVLA have for the vehicle then that is no defence but most grade one prosecutors would not want to argue that point.

Proceeding on the basis that negotiations fail though and he has to plead, he would get 6 points and a find in the low hundreds plus costs of £85 if this is a first appearance. Also, he will have to pay the victim surcharge of £15.

If he passed his test less than 2 years ago though then 6 points would mean he is subject to revocation I'm afraid.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Does the fact that the 3 points he already has on his licence were from a provisional licence make any difference to having his licence revoked ie he'll have just got 3 on his full licence if they give him 3 for this offence? Clutching at straws I know!

No, it won't.

To be revoked you have to get 6 points from the date of passing your test within the first 2 years of driving.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help.

No problem.

All the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Son appeared at Aldershot magistrates court yesterday, I was with him. Both very confused and dismayed by process, as neither have been in a court before. When he was asked how he peaded he explained that he was guilty of speeding but he had not received NIP as had not updated DVLA [explained he moved 4 months prior to speeding offence] They said 'ok so you are saying you are not guilty' They have set a trial date for April 30th. He wrote to the court yesterday [hard copy and email] explaining confusion at the situation..was he guilty with mitigating circs or not guilty as had not received NIP] Really unsure what we should do.

Its been adjourned off for a trial because he offered an account amounting to a defence.
He might succeed if he runs the defence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I get someone to represent him at the trial?

Can he afford to pay privately?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He can't, he's at uni, but if it made a difference I would find the money. I'm not sure how much its likely to be. I've seen on line solicitors offering a fixed cost service. If he had no legal represtative, does the court provide it?

Not for failing to identify. You dont get legal aid for that.

You should really be looking for a fixed cost service though.

Representation can only help but there is expense in it. Overall he does have a defence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I'll do some research. I am very grateful for your advice.

You don't need to spend hours on research. this is a simple factual dispute.

You will find a barrister under public access is much cheaper than a solicitor with conduct of the whole case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just spoken to a couple of motoring claims specialists, one fixed fee £600 +vat, one £700 +vat. Fixed fee, letters and appearance if it came to it, both said ,as you did , they would try to get the original charge instead of the failure to produce id charge. My experience of barristers[divorce] is that they are incredibly expensive!

A barrister under public access would do a plea and mitigation for a much cheaper sum than that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now been advised that if the speeding offence was more than 6 months ago the CPS will not drop the failure to disclose charge in exchange for the speeding charge, do you know if this is the case?

No, they won't.

The failing to identify is subject to limitation of 6 months but it runs from the date of the failing to identify.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, so he will have to accept the failure to identify charge, even though all this only came to light in September and he has been been cooperating since then. I paid a firm of solicitors 300 who said they'd write and pester the CPS and were confident they could get them to do it, they asked after the date of the offence till later. It sounds now as if he'll have to go back to court.

It is a defence to failing to identify to say that you didn't receive the NIP. He seems to be saying he did not. In fact, there is case law that says that if a person doesn't receive the NIP essentially because he didn't keep tabs on the post at the address the DVLA have for the vehicle then that is no defence but most grade one prosecutors would not want to argue that point.