12826847

I was stopped by police driving my girlfriends parents car

Customer Question

I was stopped by police driving my girlfriends parents car for no MOT certificate. After checking that I was insured to drive the vehicle and checking my driving licence I was issued a fixed penalty notice.

However I have now been informed by my work that as the vehicle had no valid MOT then the insurance is invalid.

Does this mean I was driving the vehicle with no insurance?

My girlfriends parents put me on their insurance as a third driver I also own my own car with my own insurance.

Please can you advise

The absence of an MOT does not mean you haven no insurance for the purposes of the law.

It just means that had there been an accident the insurance company could have used that to dishonour the claim.

The police will not charge you with driving without insurance.

In any event, even if the policy was voided you would have a special reasons argument here because you cannot do much more than check that you are insured.

Hope this helps.