12826847

Probate on my late Fathers estate was in 1998. Due to having

Customer Question

Probate on my late Fathers estate was in 1998. Due to having joint accounts in less than 7 years with my Father the executors said I had to pay half inheritance tax on these accounts even though they did not form part of his estate. They withheld the money form my equal share and periodically over the years since have asked me to agree to this, of which I never have. after all these years they have now shared that money and sent me my equal share not the full amount. they have never stated they still held this money they say they never heard back from me or my solicitors on this but they have never stated they still held this money?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not understand why they have periodically asked me to sign in agreement to them deducting this amount of money from my equal share of the estate of which I never have agreed and why after all this time refunded it without telling me they have retained it and to have now divided it between my siblings and not repaid me in full?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Why should you get all this money not a share?

Whose money was it? I appreciate that the account was joint but I need to know whose money was in the joint acct.

I am on and offline all day today

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The joint accounts were between myself and my Father. The tax dept told me that the inheritance tax would come from the estate, the executor deducted the money from my equal share as a beneficary to pay as they claim, half the inheritance tax due to these joint accounts held with my Father. My siblings had thier equal share and mine was less due to the deduction made. Over the years they have asked me to agree with them deducting this money from my equal share of the estate to which I never have. They did not tell me that they have retained this money deducted from me and only now have sent me a share of it....not the full amount that was taken, I did not agree to this and even my Fathers will states all inheritance to be deducted before the residue paid to his children