Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

My sister is being harassed by a man since 2005 for money that

Customer Question

My sister is being harassed by a man since 2005 for money that he supposedly let her borrow. they went to court and the judgement was stopped by him. He has now started a new claim for the money as my sister will not have a relationship with him. He has lost her, her last relationship. Contacted two of her employers for her address and she is now becoming unwell because of it. As is my mother as papers are always sent to my mums address. Please help us stop this man what can we do?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Did he discontinue the Court proceedings the first time?

Customer:

yes....his reason for restarting it is that him and my sister decided to sort it out between tjemselves. which was not the case at all.....because she wont have sexual relations with him he has restarted it

Max Lowry :

Okay - did he make an application to the Court (your sister would have seen it if it was) for permission to bring a new claim?

Customer:

she recieved it today and has 14 days to reply before judgement is made

Max Lowry :

Okay. Then she should reply setting out (1) that there was a previous claim that was discontinued, and no permission has been granted for the new claim and (2) set out her defence anyway.

Max Lowry :

The Court should strike it out as he needed permission to bring the claim again. TO get this he has to make an application and set out in evidence why he discontinued first time, and why he is starting it again now. Normally, it's not possible to bring this type of claim again you see - it's called an abuse of process.

Max Lowry :

SO, they might take care of the civil claim.

Max Lowry :

As for the police, yes, bring them in for the harassment, they can prosecute as this is a criminal offence.

Customer:

thank you....