Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Does regular unwanted text messages and facebook comments from

Customer Question

Does regular unwanted text messages and facebook comments from a ex staff member at early hours of the morning amount to harassment? what can we do to stop him?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Yes, this can amount to harassment. This is, as you might know, also a criminal offence.

Max Lowry :

As such, you would be able to inform the police and ask them to take action on your behalf. This would always begin with a warning to the person sending the text messages and facebook comments.

Max Lowry :

If they didn't stop then you could ask them to move to the next stage, which would be taking formal action for harassment via charging them for the offence and taking them to Court.

Customer:

ok im glad i can take action against him, it started when he left our pub he has now joined another local pub as a manager for the same company as our pub and he is warning all our customers to stay away from our pub

Max Lowry :

Good - sometimes, the police need a little pressure to make them act, you can imagine they get lots of these complaints! But, by and large, they do take action as necessary. But, that aside, you would also be entitled to take out a civil claim in the county court if you want to also.

Max Lowry :

Naturally, if the police act, you wouldn't need to bother, they'd do it for you, but the option is there to do something yourself too.

Customer:

would it be worth talking to our pub company and see if they can get him to stop as he works for the same pub company as us

Max Lowry :

Oh yes, this would be worth it - as he might lose his job if he is employed by them over this. Do that first - then the police second, as the police side of things is pretty serious too.

Customer:

ok thankyou for your help

Max Lowry :

Thank you for asking a question with us. Please do remember to rate the answer highly for me, and if you need anything more in the future, just let me know and I'll help out.

Max Lowry :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

yes thankyou