can i put a formal complaint in against the police officers

Customer Question

can i put a formal complaint in against the police officers who told me that unless i made a statement against my husband and supported a prosecution my children would be atken from me? I have a witness to this who was present at the time and is willing to confirm this.

Not really. That is their current policy.

At least you can obviously complain if you are saying they encouraged you to pervert the course of justice knowing that it was untrue but its fairly clear thats not what happened here.

If this is a case where there was some child protection issue or another brought to the attention of the police by you and you say that you are not going to prosecute the father of the children then their current policy is to make a referral to social services who would probably take the view that you are failing to protect the child.

In fairness, there must have been some report or another made by you in some form or this would never have come to the attention of police.

If this is a relationship where the police are regularly being involved in your arguments then they are perfectly entitled to make a report to social services.

Maybe that practice is heavy handed. Maybe not. I know that we all have rows with our partners but the problem is that we don't all get the police involved in them.

I'm very sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks, they told me social services would take the children away there and then because when myself and my husband had the row the baby was in our car, which they automatically involve ss because of minors present.

Yes, I know they do but you have to bring the matter to the attention of the authorities before it reaches that point.

This country is full of people who have rows in front of babies. They just don't all bring it to the attention of officialdom.

Unfortunately officialdom can no longer be controlled in the way that it used to be. Once you make a report to the police you lose control over it.