How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70118
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

can i put a formal complaint in against the police officers

Customer Question

can i put a formal complaint in against the police officers who told me that unless i made a statement against my husband and supported a prosecution my children would be atken from me? I have a witness to this who was present at the time and is willing to confirm this.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Not really. That is their current policy.

At least you can obviously complain if you are saying they encouraged you to pervert the course of justice knowing that it was untrue but its fairly clear thats not what happened here.

If this is a case where there was some child protection issue or another brought to the attention of the police by you and you say that you are not going to prosecute the father of the children then their current policy is to make a referral to social services who would probably take the view that you are failing to protect the child.

In fairness, there must have been some report or another made by you in some form or this would never have come to the attention of police.

If this is a relationship where the police are regularly being involved in your arguments then they are perfectly entitled to make a report to social services.

Maybe that practice is heavy handed. Maybe not. I know that we all have rows with our partners but the problem is that we don't all get the police involved in them.

I'm very sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks, they told me social services would take the children away there and then because when myself and my husband had the row the baby was in our car, which they automatically involve ss because of minors present.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I know they do but you have to bring the matter to the attention of the authorities before it reaches that point.

This country is full of people who have rows in front of babies. They just don't all bring it to the attention of officialdom.

Unfortunately officialdom can no longer be controlled in the way that it used to be. Once you make a report to the police you lose control over it.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice