12826847

My partner and I recently moved out of a shared accommodation.

Customer Question

Our housemate also moved out before us, without serving his notice period. At the time we let him off the rent in good will. After the deposits were returned from the agency we had a rather unpleasant dispute over the monies, as he believed we unfairly took off approximately £50 off his part. I have now returned this money to him, to avoid receiving any further nasty emails, however I believe we have the right to claim his last months rent and the £50 pounds (extra rent accumulated whilst serving our notice period) amounting to a laughable £370. Do you think this would be worth the effort, or could we loose more money due to legal costs?

You wouldn't lose more money in costs. This is a small claims court sum so costs would be minimal. probably only about £35.

Whether you would succeed is more complicated though. Certainly if he moved out without serving his notice period then he is liable. The question is what is the effect of the fact that you seem to have agreed to waive these funds.

If you did agree formally to waive them then you will struggle to claim them now. If its just that you decided you couldn't be bothered with pursuing it then your claim is stronger.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I shan't pursue the matter any longer.

Many thanks,

Zsuzsanna

No problem.

All he best.