UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I have new neighbours, a young couple, who are tenants of the

Customer Question

I have new neighbours, a young couple, who are tenants of the owner. The husband works in carpentry and has a huge commercial van which he parks on their driveway. The end of the driveway is directly in front of my house so that the parked van totally blocks the outlook. There is a covenant on these houses (it is a private development of 12 houses) which prohibits commercial vehicles from being parked here (apart from those on casual business). What should I do?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

Have you spoke with them yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I called round there this morning and briefly mentioned - very politely - that the parked van could cause a problem. The short conversation was very cordial and I would like to resolve this so that there is no ill-feeling.

There are several steps to take:

1) Resolve it as you say being friendly and polite.

2) If that does not resolve it then you can get a Solicitor to write a letter and say that the Landlord is in breach of the covenant but it needs to be sent to the Landlord.

If the Landlord still refuses to enforce anything then you can

3) Issue proceedings in the County Court.

This you would need a Solicitor to draft proceedings and present your argument in Court.

You could seek an injunction against the Landlord (as it is his property) to not cause or permit the tenant to park there.

If the Landlord refuses then he could be sent to prison for contempt of Court.

But these are these are the actions you should take.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks.

Welcome
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice