Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

i agreed to take a credit search company on about 10 days ago

i agreed to take a credit search company on about 10 days ago and have decided to cancel but they are trying to charge me for 3 months is this legal
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you have the terms and conditions?

Is there a cancellation of membership period mentioned?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have read the terms and conditions and it says nothing about cancellation

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Which company? I will check their T&C's.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Credit safe

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tony.

I have looked at their website but could not find the relevant terms.

As a matter of contract law if you have signed up for product or service all agreed fees and charges have to be paid unless the order is cancelled within the 'cancellation' or 'cooling off' period.

Generally speaking any agreement has a cancellation period which is normally round 7 days from the date the order was placed. If the order is cancelled within the cancellation period no fees or charges are incurred.

However if the product or service is cancelled outside the cancellation period then the remainder of the fees or charges will still be due and payable.

There are various regulations which stipulate a statutory cancellation period for certain contracts e.g. the Consumer Credit Act and Distance Selling Regulations. The Consumer Credit Act is unlikely to apply to your situation as you are not apply for any form of credit - yours is a subscription to a service. Under the Distance Selling Regs the cancellation period has expired.

If you no longer wish to subscribe to the service my suggestion is that you explain your position to the company and agree to pay for the service that you've received to date. But I suspect you are tied into the subscription and may have to pay the sums due under the agreement.