Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

My sister was appointed a joint Executor of my late fathers

Customer Question

My sister was appointed a joint Executor of my late fathers will (he died in 2003), his will left everything to his wife (our step mother), she did not hear anything from a lawyer and when contacting the stepmother she only received part of a copy of the will. As an executor should she have received direct communciation from the solicitors who formed the will and how can she find out more? She lives in Gran Canaria now so it is easily for me to look into this for her in the UK
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Who is the other executor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other executor is the step mother's son in law

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
So this is in respect of a 2003 death? Why raise its head now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am only just back in touch with my sister, she is asking for advice now as she has not known where to turn to being on Gran Canaria herself, she has a part copy of the will and some letters from the step mother. She is not well off and could not afford to pursue any action previously, but as an appointed Executor she had expected to receive something from a lawyer in the UK. Is there any point in me looking into this further for her?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
What is the problem with it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She wants to know if as an executor she should have received information from the solicitors in England after Dad died? She did not receive anything and she feels suspicious as the step mother has only sent her a part copy of the will

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Yes she should have had copies of everything.

She is too late to contest anything except alleged fraud.

Investigating it will not be easy as the solicitors may no longer have the file. They only have to keep for 6 years.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today and over any weekends because I will be online
and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for
free.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please
ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid
at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Is there a way I can find out which solicitors would have the will (if still with them) as that information was also kept from her? All I have is name, date of death and his address at the time.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

You can get a copy from the Probate Registry for £5 without knowing who solicitors were.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Can I help further?

and off-line.

free.

livelihood!

at all for my time and answer.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great thanks. One last question, well two really: if she were to try and bring charges of fraud against the step mother, bearing in mind that the step mother received everything in the will anyway, what could my sister gain at all? I am confused as to why she would not be sent documentation as the executor and what the step mother would achieve by engineering that as she was getting everything anyway.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

She should have got the docs although it could be something as innocent as distance or address.

Charges of fraud are against Executor unless mother is complicit in it.

She would only gain if she lost anything and they had money to refund her.

The police wont follow this up unless you have comprehensive hard detailed evidence, not just suspicions